With both data collection and computational capabilities increasing throughout the world, the analysis of massive data and the extraction of useful information from it now play central roles in statistics, computer science, and related fields. As modern information technologies generate voluminous and complex data, analytic tools ̶ and the professionals who know how to use them ̶ with solid foundations in statistical methodology, algorithms, optimization, systems building, and visualization are becoming indispensable to industry and society at large. This development has created a surge in demand for data scientists.
Rutgers Center of Data Science is established to support research for faculty and students in interdisciplinary field involving massive data, as well as provide education opportunities to develop the skills to collect, process and analyze in a data-rich world. The center is equipped with powerful machines for students and faculty to gain hands-on experience conducting interdisciplinary data science research, with emphasis on both of the core statistical model and efficient implementation method.
Center Activities: The center will actively promote and engage in the following core activities along with necessary auxiliary or supporting activities, viz.
- The center will promote discussions, exchanges of ideas and collaborations on projects or research that address practical problems by hosting workshops, working sessions, formal or informal meetings, seminars and conferences.
- The center will serve as a forum for collaboration by center Fellows on projects, and for engaging Research Associates to support these projects or to initiate projects of their own.
- The center will publish a series of technical reports and white papers, including related computing algorithms and software, disseminate the results of research conducted under the auspices of the center.
- The center will support Fellows, in conjunction with Rutgers faculty, in generating proposals for external research grants and funding support.
- The center will provide seed-funding where possible and appropriate to sponsor or support research activities of center Fellows.
- The center will run research competitions periodically on topics related to Data Science.
- The center will sponsor public events related to the center mission.
- The center will provide technical consulting services to third party projects deemed befitting its mission.